Do I have to notify my project?
The decisive factors that will determine whether you should notify NSD about your project are:
- whether you are going to process personal data, and how you are going to process personal data
- whether you are a student or researcher at an institution that has an agreement with NSD
The procedure of notifying NSD is in agreement with institutions.
What are personal data?
Personal data are information that can be used to identify individual persons:
- directly through name, personal identification number, or other unique personal identifisers
- indirectly through a combination of background information, such as place of residence or institutional affiliation, age, gender, occupation, diagnosis, etc.
- by being traceable to an e-mail or IP address (e.g. online surveys)
- through a number that is linked to a list of names (scrambling key)
If you will only be processing information which is anonymous, it is not necesssary to notify us about the project. Anonymous data contain no information that may identify an individual person, neither directly nor indirectly, including a list of names/scrambling key.
How will you process personal data in your project?
'Processing' means any operation or set of operations which are performed on personal data. This includes collecting, recording, organising, storing, sharing, publishing personal data. You must notify us about your project if you will be processing personal data:
- electronically / using electronic devices (e.g. by processing text, audio or video files on a computer, USB or smartphone), and/or
- by manually storing sensitive data that are linked to names or personal identification numbers
You have to submit a Notification Form even if you do not publish personal data
A project must be notified even if you only publish anonymous data. It is how you will process personal data in the project as a whole, from the beginning of data collection to the publishing of results, that determines whether you have to submit a Notification Form for your project.
You must submit the Notification Form at least 30 days prior to commencing data collection.
NB: The English version of the notification form will be available soon. In the meantime, you may download a draft of the English translation. You can also contact us via online chat or telephone (55 58 21 17) for guidance.