Notification duty or licensing obligation?

Your notification form shall be sent to NSD if your project is subject to notification, and your institution has appointed NSD as its Data Protection Official for Research. We can process most projects, but some projects need an additional license from the Data Protection Authority.

If your project requires a license from The Data Protection Authority, we will help you design your application and send it to the Data Protection Authority on your behalf.

Which projects require a license?

Projects that require a license might be projects that process sensitive personal data and;

  • are of a large scale (over 5000 persons) and of a long duration (over 15 years), and/or
  • use/consist of large data sets that are not sufficiently de-identified or pseudonymised, and/or
  • make non-response analyses not based on consent and/or
  • use data from the pseudonymous health registries (IPLOS and NorPD (Reseptregisteret), and/or
  • research on particularly sensitive data without consent


Last updated: Thu Jun 28 14:55:02 CEST 2018

© NSD - Norsk senter for forskningsdata • Kontakt NSDPersonvern og informasjonskapsler (cookies)