- Unicameral parliament
- Name: Assembly of the Republic (Assembleia da Republica)
- Members: 230
- Term: 4 years
- Constituencies: 22 multi-member constituencies.
- Voting system: Proportional: Closed party-list system, with proportional representation based on the d'Hondt method; each list must bear as many names as there are seats to be filled in the constituency. Electors may only vote for one list. According to Article 15 of Law no. 14/79, as amended, "the number of effective candidates in the lists proposed for the election must equal the number of seats allocated to the constituency referred to in the lists, with no fewer than two, and no more than five alternate candidates".
- Voter requirements: 18 years of age; Portuguese citizenship (Portuguese citizens who have dual nationality are not deprived of their electoral rights).
- Voting is not compulsory.
Election results 1991-2011, main parties